Monday, March 18, 2013

Monday Posts from Full Moon Mostly


Hello everyone, we are having a great time. There are so many adventures to have.  Every day has a new fun part to it. Yesterday we started our service work at the school. It was so awesome to see what was done last year and see our new projects start. Today we are going to the ruins above Ollantaytambo. I’m so exited.             Thanks, Michael 

FROM MICHA
Hello everyone!
Today we saw the Ollantaytambo ruins! It was really interesting to see all of the rocks fit into the wall precisely! The view is breathtaking – no matter where you look, there is a huge mountain! Next we went to dinner with our host families. We have four kids. The youngest is two-months old and the oldest is eleven. It’s amazing how the families truly take care of you and are always looking out for everyone. After that, we had our first day working on the service projects. My job is to help a family rebuild a wall that was flooded by the river. The river is the same one we went rafting in, and is dirty and the color of chocolate milk due to this being the end of the rainy season. During the rafting, our boat flipped and it was super scary! Mr. Lemon saved me though! We were the only boat that flipped and everyone was worried and came to the rescue... but we are ok! :) I think it is really cool that even thought the kids here don’t have a lot of things, they are still happy. This town is so special and magical. Tomorrow we are weaving baskets.

P.S. Mom Dad Eli Davis and Delaney and family,
I miss you guys so much! I haven't gotten homesick yet, which is good. But it’s only the first couple of days. Davis HAPPY BIRTHDAY I'm sorry I'm missing it!! Mom and dad don’t be worried about me:)! Eli, I miss you little buddy! :) And Delaney I wish you were here with me! I love you guys and I will blog as much as I can!

FROM RAEGAN
Hi everybody!
We have been doing amazing things like rafting and visiting ruins!  It was amazing to see the amazing work of the Incas and how they could transport their building materials for miles without animals or wheels.  There was an amazing view.  We then went and met our host families for lunch.  I have four kids, Dora, Camila, Gonzales and Christian. We then went to a small town to put concrete on the sides of the houses.  After we finished our work, we got to play soccer with the kids!  It was great!  All of the families are so kind and are always happy to see us and welcome us.  Even though they don't have as much as we do, they are always smiling and happy!  The day before we went rafting in a river that was super fun!  Some people that were standing on the side of the river were waving to us.  The river looked like hot chocolate because if the mud!  It was so scary when the raft flipped, but the instructors helped us out, and we are ok.  Even though our raft flipped it was still a great time!  Tomorrow we get to go basket weaving and keep our work.  This is a wonderful town full of love and happiness.

FROM REAGAN TO Mom & Dad & others
I love you guys so much and miss you!  Lincoln and I are both awesome and having a great time!  I hope you have a great time on your trip.  Even though I was a little bit sick on the bus I am great!  We miss you!  I wish you could see all of the amazing things here!!!!  Love you soooooooooooo much!  P.S. I only got homesick on the first night and I am enjoying it so much!!!!  I am having so much fun and everything here is so beautiful. I am taking lots of pictures!!

FROM RAQUEL
Hey everybody! The trip is awesome! We recently did a scavenger to get to know and understand the town. I spoke to many people in the town in Spanish and asked about the locations. I learned more about the people and the locations than I did last year. My favorite parts so far was when we hiked the Inca ruins and were working to help people who were affected by a flood in 2010. It felt great to help them, but it also changed me in a way that the people are providing us with the amazing adventure of the country of Peru and the town. The service project feels like how we are returning the gift. We are now going to eat lunch with home stays. I love you mom and dad. I am doing fantastic!! I love you very much!!!! I will be back before you know it!!

9 comments:

Continental Ops said...

Hey Michael - enjoyed your post and glad you're having a wonderful adventure in this remarkable place. Home perks along but thought you'd want to know IU got a number one seed in the NCAA - though they lost to Wisconsin in the big ten. Got to see your new team scrimmage. They look strong, but need you at shortstop. Be safe. Love dad.

Michael's Mom said...

Hi Michael! Thank you for sharing your adventures! I can tell you are excited about the service work, your host family, and exploring. You will have a lot to write in your journal. Love you,M

Unknown said...

Audrey G: rafting and hiking pics look very cool. Glad to see the old boy scout knapsack is not showing its age and serving you well. Everyone I tell that you are in Peru on this service trip all think that it's pretty cool. We are all missing you. Winnie keeps a lookout for you every day. Take lots of pics and journal entries. Mom dad cate and W

Anonymous said...

Hey Xander,
We love to hear that the group is having such a cool experience and is getting exposed to such a magical place. It sounds like the families are very caring...good stuff!!!
Emily, Nicolas, Mami and Papi are thinking of you lots and enjoying this experience from a far. Today, Emily was finally apple of the week, so you can imagine how many shakes there were tonight. Nicolas watched the march madness bracketology and missed his big brother for big selection Sunday (BC didn't make it...a boy can dream =).
Today, I heard the song "only in NY" and I instantly thought of us. I hope you are having an amazing adventure. Take lots of pictures and remember we love ya.
Were you in the raft that flipped? sounds like fun. Take good care.
Mami and Papi

Unknown said...

Raegan, it was good to hear from you and we are loving the pictures so we can keep up with what you are doing! I bet it was scary when the raft flipped--I can only imagine! Keep up the good work and enjoy your time there. Tell Lincoln hello for us too!
Love, Mom and Dad

Rick Roman said...

Raquel - thanks for the post! It is great to know what you are up to, and you are obviously having a fabulous time. Enjoy Peru, everyone you meet and interact with, and of course your friends and teachers! Love Mom, Dad and Bella.

Unknown said...

Hi Raegan and Lincoln - so glad you guys are having a good time and I'm sure learning a lot! All the pictures are beautiful and it does look magical! Can't wait to see you guys when you get back and hear all about it! Love, Kristi

Linda Sagastume said...

It is so special to read these posts...and follow along with the adventures. Yea Mr. Lemon, so glad you were able to help out with the raft flip, love you!! Signed, Mr. Lemons mom!!!

Anonymous said...

sup xander micha, and jimmy!!!!! glad to see you guys are having fun upon peru. can't wait to see you guys again!!!! i saw the pictures of you guys basket weaving and i was so happy. i hope you have a great experience in peru.


from your super cool friend

chris


HAVE FUN!!!!!

Post a Comment